I feel like bleaching Fuji FP-100C and reclaiming the negative is the end goal to a thrift shop or an antique mall find. I found a Polaroid Land Camera 430 (Previously featured on the blog) and bought it for $20 at a local antique mall. I got a battery for $5 on ebay, and gave my soul away to afford a pack of film.
Apart from being stoked to pull the shot out of the camera and wait for it to develop, then finally peeling it apart and seeing an image, getting a large negative out of the shot is the icing on the cake for me.
I got gel bleach and latex gloves at a grocery store for a total of $3.46. I already had some masking tape and a piece of glass. Taped it up, emulsion side down, and spread a dollop of bleach on top the back.
You can tilt the glass to spread the gel without touching it, and after about 20 seconds or so, start to rub the gel with your fingers (gloves on if you want, but whatever, they're your hands) until you start to see the black crap coming off to reveal the image. Do this until you get as much of the black off that you want, then run the negative under warm water to wash all the bleach and black goop off.
If you get bleach under the negative because you didn't tape well enough, the image will be ruined, unless you're going for that abnormalities look.
After rinsing the black off, untape the negative, pull the tape and any excess paper off and start to wash away the goopy stuff on the emulsion side of the negative under warm water. After doing so, I worked some photo-flo on the negative, and hung the negative up to dry in the bathroom. Yes, with shoestrings and clothes pins. My signature process, I guess. Now sit back and give your self a good old Kentucky hug while the negs dry.
While waiting on the negs to dry, I scanned the physical "prints" in and slightly dusted them. After a while, I started scanning the negs.
Because I use an Epson V600, I can't get all four borders of the image to be in the scan. The window just isn't big enough. I could scan half and move the neg and scan the other half, then stitch them together, but Im happy with just cutting a border off a little bit.
Here are the negative scans: